The Europa Series Banknotes
Over 10 years after the introduction of euro banknotes and coins, the Eurosystem has started to issue a second series of euro banknotes, known as the Europa series.
It includes a portrait of Europa – a figure from Greek mythology and the origin of the name of our continent – in the hologram and the watermark. The new banknotes have several new and enhanced security features to make them even more resistant to counterfeiting. They can be easily checked using the “feel, look and tilt” method.
The new €50 banknote
“The Euro: our money” official website
- 06/07/2016: Preparatory work for the introduction of the € 50 banknotes Europe series
- 05/07/2016: Press Release - ECB unveils new €50 banknote
- 05/07/2016: Games - TETRIS® NEW €50
The new €20 banknote
- 20/11/2015: Press release - Launch of the new €20 banknote (in French)
- 24/02/2015: New €20 banknote unveiled in Frankfurt today
Press kit on the new €20 banknote
- 05/02/2015: ECB launches online game related to the security features of the new €20 banknote
- 19/12/2014: Press Release: Eurosystem to unveil the new €20 and support banknote equipment manufacturers and suppliers
The new €10 banknote
The new €10 banknote started circulating on 23 September 2014. More information can be found at www.new-euro-banknotes.eu.