General privacy statement - Personal data
As a public institution, the National Bank of Belgium (hereinafter “the NBB”) attaches great importance to the protection of personal data and privacy. It handles personal data with great care and in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (General Data Protection Regulation – GDPR). Personal data are processed solely to achieve the specific purpose for which they are collected. The personal data collected are not processed for commercial purposes.
Personal data are only shared on a need-to-know basis to achieve the purpose of the collection. This data may be shared with people outside the NBB when this appears necessary in order to achieve this purpose or in cases provided for by the law. The NBB processes these personal data for the duration which is strictly necessary in order to attain the specific purposes in view of which the data are processed.
In as far as the conditions laid out in the applicable legislation are met, persons whose data are processed are entitled to
(1) access their personal data and, as the case may be, rectify them;
(2) object to processing on grounds relating to their particular situation;
(3) obtain the erasure of such data or the restriction of processing;
(4) receive the personal data concerning them in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and to transmit those data to another controller;
(5) lodge a complaint with the Gegevensbeschermingsautoriteit/Autorité de protection des données if they consider that processing their personal data infringes the applicable legislation.
The relevant persons may exercise the rights mentioned under points (1) to (4) by means of a dated and signed request, accompanied with a copy of the person's identity card, to be handed in at the NBB's reception desk or sent by post to the National Bank of Belgium, Data Protection Officer, Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels. A request may also be sent by e-mail with digital signature to firstname.lastname@example.org.