As a public institution, the National Bank of Belgium (hereinafter “the NBB”) attaches great importance to the protection of personal data and privacy. It handles personal data with great care and in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (General Data Protection Regulation – GDPR). Personal data are processed solely to achieve the specific purpose for which they are collected. The personal data collected are not processed for commercial purposes.
Personal data are only shared on a need-to-know basis to achieve the purpose of the collection. This data may be shared with people outside the NBB when this appears necessary in order to achieve this purpose or in cases provided for by the law. The NBB processes these personal data for the duration which is strictly necessary in order to attain the specific purposes in view of which the data are processed.
In as far as the conditions laid out in the applicable legislation are met, persons whose data are processed are entitled to
(1) access their personal data and, as the case may be, rectify them;
(2) object to processing on grounds relating to their particular situation;
(3) obtain the erasure of such data or the restriction of processing;
(4) receive the personal data concerning them in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and to transmit those data to another controller;
(5) lodge a complaint with the Gegevensbeschermingsautoriteit/Autorité de protection des données if they consider that processing their personal data infringes the applicable legislation.
The relevant persons may exercise the rights mentioned under points (1) to (4) by means of a dated and signed request, accompanied with a copy of the person's identity card, to be handed in at the NBB's reception desk or sent by post to the National Bank of Belgium, Data Protection Officer, Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels. A request may also be sent by e-mail with digital signature to email@example.com.
Servers automatically store data sent by a visitor's browser each time a NBB website is consulted. These server log files may contain the following information: the date and time of the visit, the visitor's IP address, the type of browser used by the visitor, the browser language and the browser screen size, and one or more cookies by which the browser can be identified. This information is not linked to personal data collected elsewhere and is used solely to record website visitor statistics required for the purpose of assessing and improving the NBB's websites.