How to report an account

The easiest way to report an account is via the web application!

Buitenlandse rekeningen melden

You can use the web application of the Central Point of Contact for accounts and financial contracts (CPC) to:

  • report foreign account(s),
  • report changes to previously reported data.

This application can be accessed using the itsme app or your electronic identity card (as for Tax-on-web). It is continuously available, except on Sunday mornings from 8:00 to 12:30 and during site maintenance.

The fastest and easiest way to provide information to the CPC is through the web application! If you submit information online, you do not need to send it afterwards by post.

Need help navigating the online procedure? 

  • How to report accounts and information using itsme;
  • How to report accounts and information using an electronic identity card (eID);
  • The explanatory notes drawn up by the Federal Public Service (FPS) Finance provide helpful information on:
    • reporting foreign accounts to the CPC (available in Dutch, French and German)
    • reporting changes to foreign accounts (account closure and decumulation, rectification of data, deletion of data) (available in Dutch, French and German)


To the CPC web application

Submitting information in writing

If you prefer to submit information in writing, you can do so using the standard forms made available by the FPS Finance. There are four types of reporting to the CPC, for each of which a form has been developed. 

You (or your authorised representative) must download, print, complete and sign the form. You can also fill in the form online and then print and sign it.

The paper form should be sent by post to the following address (together with a double-sided copy of your identity card or that of your authorised representative, if any):

National Bank of Belgium
Central Point of Contact for accounts and financial contracts (CPC)
14 Boulevard de Berlaimont 
1000 Brussels