Rectification of data
Domestic accounts, financial contracts and transactions involving cash
Any person may request, free of charge, correction of incorrect data relating to domestic accounts, contracts and transactions involving cash registered in his/her name in the Central Point of Contact for accounts and financial contracts (CPC) database. To this effect, the person concerned must contact the reporting financial institution which previously submitted these data. The declarer must first correct the incorrect data in his/her own files and then immediately report the corrected data to the CPC.
The NBB is not legally entitled to amend data in the CPC database itself.
Any resident or his/her authorised representative can correct or update previously reported data regarding foreign accounts.
Three types of changes are possible:
- Notification of closure of a foreign account or of transfer of a foreign account to the children (using the closure and detachment form):
o Closure: upon the final closure of a foreign account. The closure form is also used in case of death of the account holder;
o Detachment: when children reach the age of majority, they must file a tax return themselves and declare their foreign account(s) to the CPC. The accounts of the child that were previously declared by the parents in their name must be closed (in the name of the parents).
- Amendment of data (using the correction form): Previously reported data can be amended of supplemented (different account number, new name of the financial institution, etc.).
- Deletion of incorrect data (using the deletion form). This form is used only to remove misreported data (e.g. where an accountant has reported an incorrect national number of a customer).
Changes can be reported in two ways:
- either by filing an online notification via the CPC’s web application (this is also possible if the incorrect or incomplete data were originally submitted on paper). This is the easiest and fastest way!
- or by filing a notification in writing, by filling in one of the following forms:
- Closure and detachment form: to report the final closure of a foreign account or the transfer of a foreign account to the children (only available in Dutch, French or German);
- Correction form: to amend data previously reported (only available in Dutch, French or German);
- Deletion form: to delete misreported data. You may therefore only use this form to delete incorrectly reported accounts! (only available in Dutch, French or German).
In case of a notification in writing, the form must be duly completed, dated and signed by the resident or his/her authorised representative, and sent to the following address:
National Bank of Belgium
Central Point of Contact for accounts and financial contracts (CPC)
boulevard de Berlaimont 14