Models NPIs and foundations
Small and large non-profit institutions (NPIs) and foundations have to file their annual accounts at the National Bank. Most of them are required to file annual accounts drawn up using a standard presentation. Some may or are required to file annual accounts using a specific presentation in accordance to the law they are submitted to.
1. New models for associations and foundations
In principle, associations or foundations that are required to file annual accounts must use one of the standard models below.
The new Code of Companies and Associations (CCA) provides new models of annual accounts. The most important changes with the new CCA (in the models of annual accounts for associations and foundations) are as follows:
- the introduction of the micro model,
- aligning the models models for associations and foundations with the models for companies
New models for associations and foundations, published in the Belgian Law Gazette of September 4, 2020, page 65037, in accordance with the Code of Companies and Associations.
Size criteria determine the size of the association or foundation and the standard model to be used.
In accordance with the opinion of the Accounting Standards Commission CBN 2020/01 (Dutch), the new models should be used for the submission of annual accounts:
- with financial years ending after 31.12.2019;
- for associations and foundations created after 30.04.2019;
- for associations and foundations which have opted in and whose new statutes have been published before the closing date of their financial year.
Filing of the old models in PDF format remains possible after 03.02.2021 for financial years ending no later than 31.12.2019.
2. Exceptions: NPIs, foundations and Organisations for the Financing of Pensions (OFP) that are required to file annual accounts using a specific presentation
Some NPIs and foundations are subject to specific laws, because of the special nature of their activities (schools, hospitals,...), and the presentation for their annual accounts differs from the standard presentations. If the Board of Management feels that the current accounting obligations are the same as those under the Royal Decree of 29th April 2019, the NPI or foundation may file its accounts in the specific presentation, instead of using one of the standard presentations.
The Organisations for the Financing of Pensions (OFP) must always use the specific presentation.
In order to be able to distinguish clearly a standard model from a specific presentation, the annual account filed with a specific presentation of the NPI, foundation or OFP has to be preceeded by a specific first page.
The NPI, foundation or OFP has to mention on the first page the legal or regulatory conditions that justify the use of a specific presentation.
3. Models for health insurance funds and federations of health insurance funds
The health insurance funds and national federations of health insurance funds subject to the Law of August 6, 1990 must draw up their annual accounts according to the model established by the Inspection Department for Health Insurance Funds and National Federations of Health Insurance Funds.
For the filing at the National Bank, this model must be preceded by the appropriate cover sheet:
- Annual accounts for health insurance funds concerning supplementary insurance
- Annual accounts for health insurance funds concerning federal compulsory insurance
- Annual accounts for health insurance funds concerning regional compulsory insurance