Models NPIs and foundations
Large and very large non-profit institutions (NPIs) and foundations have to file their annual accounts at the National Bank. Most of them are required to file annual accounts drawn up using a standard presentation. Some may or are required to file annual accounts using a specific presentation in accordance to the law they are submitted to.
1. General rule: NPIs and foundations that are required to file annual accounts drawn up using a standard presentation
In principle, NPIs or foundations that are required to file accounts must use one of the standard models (Dutch-French):
- very large NPIs and foundations must file the full presentation for NPIs and foundations
- large NPIs and foundations must file the abbreviated presentation for NPIs and foundations.
The FPS Justice makes available two brochures on the new accounting system for associations: a brochure for small NPIs and a brochure for large and very large NPIs. These brochures can be found on the FPS Justice website (in Dutch - in French ) .
In both models, the full annual accounts model as well as the abbreviated model, amounts are expressed in units of euro, leaving out the decimals.
The new version of both the "Full model of annual account for NPIs" and the "Abbreviated model of annual account for NPIs", as published in the Belgian Law Gazette of 6 December 2013, page 96.969, are listed below:
2. Exceptions: NPIs, foundations and Organisations for the Financing of Pensions (OFP) that are required to file annual accounts using a specific presentation
Some NPIs and foundations are subject to specific laws, because of the special nature of their activities, and the presentation for their annual accounts differs from the standard presentations. If the Board of Management feels that the current accounting obligations are the same as those under the law of 2nd May 2002 and the Royal Decree of 19th December 2003, the NPI or foundation may file its accounts in the specific presentation, instead of using one of the standard presentations.
The Organisations for the Financing of Pensions (OFP) must always use the specific presentation.
In order to be able to distinguish clearly a standard model from a specific presentation, the annual account filed with a specific presentation of the NPI, foundation or OFP has to be preceeded by a specific first page.
The NPI, foundation or OFP has to mention on the first page the legal or regulatory conditions that justify the use of a specific presentation.
3. History and evolution of models
- Overview of models NPIs and foundations
- Changes to the models of annual accounts for NPIs and foundations: version 2013 vs version 2012
- Changes to the models of annual accounts for NPIs and foundations: version 2012 vs version 2011
- Changes to the models of annual accounts for non-profit institutions and foundations: version 2011 vs version 2009